Thursday, December 18

Strap it on





Your backpack, that is. That's what Jonathan Jones did when he didn't have a newsroom to work out of. Jones, a former reporter for the Daily Local in West Chester, took a buyout over a year ago from ANG newspapers in California. He and his wife, Anna Sussman, then became a roving two-person freelance foreign bureau.

Jones and Sussman wrote about hunger, povery, disease and war in Africa and Asia. Heady stuff for two 20-somethings (I'm guessing here. To be honest, they both look like they're 17). But they kicked ass. They sold print, radio and video to news organizations that have cut back on foreign staffing but are still hungry for stories from abroad: CNN, NPR, The Christian Science Monitor and other heavy hitters.

What's next? Anna is freelancing in the Bay area, and Jonathan is writing a book about Firestone's rubber operations in Liberia. He didn't go into it, but I get the feeling the book isn't something Firestone will be sending out to investors. Good luck to them both.

Check out their work at Backpack Journalist.

1 comment:

TommySedsoe said...

I think you've found your calling as a blogger. Good stuff!